WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: help with complex table

for

Date: Sep 28, 2017 10:50AM

I apologize but maybe "two-way table" wasn't the right term... I mean a table that has both column and row headers.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2017 12:48 PM
To: Beranek, Nicholas < <EMAIL REMOVED> >; WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: RE: [WebAIM] help with complex table

I don't believe I've seen a two-way table before. Do you know of any examples on line? All I could find was articles referencing Excel.

Angela French

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Beranek, Nicholas via WebAIM-Forum
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2017 9:24 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] help with complex table

Have you considered having the College Courses in a separate 2-way data table? "College Course" and "Credits" can be column headers in that case with each of the courses as row headers.

Another option I've considered is including what I just mentioned in the same table. Here is example code:

<tr>
<th scope="col">College Course</th>
<th scope="col">Credits</th>
</tr>
<tr>
<th scope="row">ACCT 110</th>
<td>5</td>
</tr>

The beauty of this technique is that is does not require the "headers" attribute or unique IDs for each header. Try it out!

Nick Beranek
Capital One

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.