WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: acrobat vs Foxit

for

Date: Dec 9, 2022 6:23AM

I provide training on both and don't like Foxit. I do have the current version of both.

The main issue is that every time I open a PDF, I have to add the Tags, Order and Content Panels.

The tagging is on par with Acrobat but some of the methods I use in Acrobat to remediate aren't available to me in Foxit, For example, it is VERY mouse dependent. I can't press F2 on a tag and go into edit mode. I have to pick up the mouse, double click the tag and then remediate it.

I also notice that in the Foxit PDF viewer, JAWS won't recognize language changes in PDF documents. I have to test those in Acrobat (or Adobe Reader).

There are some keyboard commands but not enough to help make the work go faster.

It is the only alternative to Acrobat. Kofax PowerPDF has regressed and tags everything as either a P, Figure or Table. Even lists are tagged with P tags. This is coming from an accessible Word document! Since Kofax purchased PowerPDF in 2019, it is no longer a competitor for those who remediate or even create accessible PDF. I have tried to talk with them but they are not interested.

At this point, I only use Foxit when I have to teach it.

Cheers, Karen

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Laura Roberts
Sent: Thursday, December 8, 2022 2:12 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] acrobat vs foxit

My main client just switched to Foxit. I haven't used it for tagging. How do you think it compares to Acrobat?

--
Best regards,
Laura Roberts
413-588-8422