WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: - Auto-refreshing advertisements

for

Date: Jan 16, 2024 9:06AM

Barry,

This is a great topic to bring up. I've seen some news sites that come up with multiple items that automatically play, some with sound and the steps needed to tab to those and pause or stop them far exceed the requirements. Even as a sighted user of some of those, it is a horrible user experience. On some, the size of the changing advertisements pushes the text I'm currently reading up/or down, interrupting the flow of reading content. They could code in right up there with skip to main content, "stop all advisement audio and video" as a button.

None of the advertisements or featured content should autoplay with sound or movement without stopping within the what 3 or 5 seconds.

Do these obnoxious, self-focused advertisers even create accessible multimedia ads? Does the Cadillac advertisement's closed caption say, "Led Zeppelin's Rock and Roll intro riff playing" Do they audio describe "A Cadillac races across a bridge with an older wealthy man driving while his trophy wife sits in the passenger seat smiling at him adoringly."

Doug Hayman
IT Accessibility Coordinator
Information Technology
Olympic College
<EMAIL REMOVED>
(360) 475-7632

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Hill, Barry (Accessibility Tester) via WebAIM-Forum
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2024 6:19 AM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Cc: Hill, Barry (Accessibility Tester) < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [EXTERNAL] - [WebAIM] Auto-refreshing advertisements

CAUTION: This email came from a non-OC system or external source. Beware of phishing and social engineering!

Hi all

A website I am reviewing has third-party advertisements that auto-refresh every minute. As they are third-party, not all the adverts have proper labels or alt text. We're working with procurement to ensure that they will be accessible in the future. As the accessibility cannot be ensured, the developers are wanting to hide them from screen readers, but I don't think they should. Which way is best on that? Also, if they are not hidden from screen readers, I'm assuming that there should be a mechanism to pause the auto-refresh. Should there also be a mechanism to skip to next and previous ad?

Thanks in anticipation.

Barry

Information in this email including any attachments may be privileged, confidential and is intended exclusively for the addressee. The views expressed may not be official policy, but the personal views of the originator. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete it from your system. You should not reproduce, distribute, store, retransmit, use or disclose its contents to anyone. Please note we reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communication through our internal and external networks. SKY and the SKY marks are trademarks of Sky Limited and Sky International AG and are used under licence.

Sky UK Limited (Registration No. 2906991), Sky-In-Home Service Limited (Registration No. 2067075), Sky Subscribers Services Limited (Registration No. 2340150) and Sky CP Limited (Registration No. 9513259) are direct or indirect subsidiaries of Sky Limited (Registration No. 2247735). All of the companies mentioned in this paragraph are incorporated in England and Wales and share the same registered office at Grant Way, Isleworth, Middlesex TW7 5QD