WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: PPT embedded video

for

Date: Feb 6, 2024 3:13PM

There is another question you need to address first, which is whether you regard the video as "synchronised media" or "video-only media". This is important because an audio description would be required for synchronised media, whereas a transcript would be sufficient for video-only media.

The video has an audio track, but it does not contain any speech or any information (let alone important information). It's just some random music track they chose. It doesn't even convey mood or emotion.

A couple of years ago we discussed how videos like this should be classified. My recollection is that the majority view was that it's synchronised media. But I don't think that view was unanimous and there is certainly a case for regarding it as video-only.

In practice, I believe that a transcript would be more useful and more practical. It would make the content available to deafblind people, which an audio description won't do. It's also much easier to implement than an audio described version, so that is what I would advise if it was my client.

Closed captioning is not required because there is no important audio content. In fact, the video content is effectively just open captions with a bit of visual fluff.

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Claire Forbes
Sent: Tuesday, February 6, 2024 9:07 PM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] PPT embedded video

Hello everyone,
I'm working on a PowerPoint that has a video included on a slide. In the video, there is audio playing as content is "written" on the screen - is there a way to make this compliant?
The video is from YouTube and the CC is unavailable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9XmF4_HgKE

Thank you!
Claire