WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: hyperlinked text that is indistinguishable from adjacenttext

for

Date: Feb 7, 2024 11:16AM

Hello there!

You've raised a pertinent point. While it might seem like a UX issue, the lack of sufficient visual distinction for hyperlinked text can indeed be an accessibility concern under WCAG. Even though color isn't being used to convey information in this case, the absence of clear visual cues could make it challenging for users with certain disabilities, such as low vision or color blindness, to identify the links easily.

While WCAG does not specifically mandate a particular color for hyperlinks, it emphasizes the importance of ensuring that links are perceivable and distinguishable from surrounding text. This can include using underlines or other visual indicators to make links stand out.

In your situation, it might be worth considering implementing additional visual cues, such as underlining or using a different font style for hyperlinks, to improve accessibility for all users. This way, you can ensure that users with various disabilities can navigate your content effectively.
Dean Vasile

617-799-1162

> On Feb 7, 2024, at 1:01 PM, Mosley, Leigh via WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> Greetings WebAim!
>
> Very often I see hyperlinked text that is visually indistinguishable from the adjacent text (i.e., it's all plain black text on white background). The only indicator that some text is hyperlinked is the underlining that appears on keyboard focus and the hand pointer that appears on mouse hover. I feel this is certainly a UX issue, but is it actually an accessibility issue under WCAG? If the linked text were dark blue and the adjacent text black, I could fail it under 1.4.1 - but since it's all black text, color isn't being used to convey any information. And failure technique F73 seems to provide this exemption: "There is no requirement that links be identifiable by people who cannot perceive color if they are not perceivable for those with color vision. (e.g. if the links are hidden for everyone - as in a game or test)." But this isn't a game or test - these are respected online academic journals and I see this style choice for hyperlinked text in their articles very frequently.
>
> Thanks!