WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

SC 3.3.2: Labels or Instructions (Level A) violation?

for

Date: Mar 25, 2024 11:36AM

Hi everyone,
We have a third-party web app that has a drag-and-drop feature where you can change the order of sections (or layout of the dashboard contents). On the webpage it says, "Drag and drop the handle (=3D) to change the order of the sections on your home screen." You can change the order of the sections using the mouse and keyboard. The section elements are keyboard-focusable (Most Popular, Find Academic Resources, Get Involved, Take Care of Your Health, Task Centers, My Recently Used, Student Essentials, Canvas Courses). You can Tab to each section and use the Up and Down arrow keys to move the selected section up one or down one level to create the order you want them to appear on the dashboard. Since there are no instructions on how to use the drag and drop on the webpage using a keyboard, is this considered a violation of Success Criteria 3.3.2: Labels or Instructions (Level A)?<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/labels-or-instructions.html> I did not find where the guideline explicitly mentions requiring keyboard instructions, but they do emphasize ensuring that all functionality of a website can be operated via a keyboard interface. Thanks for any help.
[Main Page Layout heading. Reset Layout button. Done editing button. Text instructions: Drag and drop the handle (=3D) to change the order of the sections on your home screen. Keyboard focusable elements: Most popular, find academic resources, get involved, take care of your health, task centers, my recently used, student essentials, canvas courses.]
Best,
Carmen