WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: Microsoft Word Objects And Text Boxes

for

Number of posts in this thread: 3 (In chronological order)

Date: Fri, Feb 02 2024 12:07PM
Subject: Microsoft Word Objects And Text Boxes
No previous message | Next message →

Hi,
Once in a while I get Microsoft Word documents with text boxes screen reaeers don't realize are there. Microsoft has created a clunky way to read them that kind of works, but my concern is that there is no alert that they are there. JAWS can get at them with a key stroke. As far as I am aware, NVDA reads them, but can't go inside and examine the text without the Microsoft clunky solution. Is there a solution that would satisfy people who like to use these text boxes that also makes the documents more accessible? If I advise them to remove them, what is a path that I can recommend to make the documents look the same and still be accessible?

Thanks.

Jim

=========Jim Homme: He, Him, His
Senior Digital Accessibility Consultant
Bender Consulting Services
412-787-8567
https://www.benderconsult.com/
Help end the shame of the stigma of mental health disabilities. https://benderleadership.org/notashamed/

Date: Fri, Feb 02 2024 12:58PM
Subject: Re: Microsoft Word Objects And Text Boxes
← Previous message | Next message →

To ensure accessibility while using text boxes in Microsoft Word documents, you can follow these guidelines:

1. **Use Alt Text**: Add descriptive alt text to the text boxes so screen readers can identify and describe them to users. This provides context and enhances accessibility.

2. **Avoid Overuse**: Limit the use of text boxes to situations where they are truly necessary. Overuse of text boxes can make the document difficult to navigate and understand for screen reader users.

3. **Consider Using Tables**: In some cases, you can achieve similar formatting effects by using tables instead of text boxes. Tables are more accessible and easier for screen readers to interpret.

4. **Test Accessibility**: Always test the document with different screen readers to ensure that it is fully accessible. This helps identify any potential issues and allows you to make necessary adjustments.

5. **Provide Instructions**: If text boxes are unavoidable, provide clear instructions for screen reader users on how to navigate and interact with them. This helps users understand how to access the content within the text boxes.

By following these guidelines, you can create Word documents that are both visually appealing and accessible to all users, including those using screen readers.
Dean Vasile

617-799-1162

> On Feb 2, 2024, at 2:07 PM, Jim Homme < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>
> Hi,
> Once in a while I get Microsoft Word documents with text boxes screen reaeers don't realize are there. Microsoft has created a clunky way to read them that kind of works, but my concern is that there is no alert that they are there. JAWS can get at them with a key stroke. As far as I am aware, NVDA reads them, but can't go inside and examine the text without the Microsoft clunky solution. Is there a solution that would satisfy people who like to use these text boxes that also makes the documents more accessible? If I advise them to remove them, what is a path that I can recommend to make the documents look the same and still be accessible?
>
> Thanks.

Date: Sat, Feb 03 2024 6:26AM
Subject: Re: Microsoft Word Objects And Text Boxes
← Previous message | No next message

I recommend that people use a paragraph style instead of a text box. You can do a lot with a style, including adjusting the indents left and right, putting a border around the text with spacing, changing the colour of the border to match the document Theme/template and modify the text colour if desired. You can also add shading behind the text but you would need to use a tool like the colour contrast analyzer to make sure the text is readable.

I find that using the paragraph style is more flexible than text boxes and often the reason for a text box is to call out contact information or something important.

I even have custom paragraph styles I can use in parallel columns to have text that visually stands out but is accessible.

Whenever possible create a style for callouts. I modify the Quote style to meet my callout needs in documents. It is already there as a style but has some readability issues/the text is italicized.

Microsoft says there have been improvements in the accessibility of text boxes but keep in mind that any improvements are not backward compatible with previous versions of Microsoft Office/365. I would also think that any improvements would only be usable with the latest version of both Microsoft 365 and any adaptive technology.

Cheers, Karen

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of Jim Homme
Sent: Friday, February 2, 2024 2:08 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Subject: [WebAIM] Microsoft Word Objects And Text Boxes

Hi,
Once in a while I get Microsoft Word documents with text boxes screen reaeers don't realize are there. Microsoft has created a clunky way to read them that kind of works, but my concern is that there is no alert that they are there. JAWS can get at them with a key stroke. As far as I am aware, NVDA reads them, but can't go inside and examine the text without the Microsoft clunky solution. Is there a solution that would satisfy people who like to use these text boxes that also makes the documents more accessible? If I advise them to remove them, what is a path that I can recommend to make the documents look the same and still be accessible?

Thanks.

Jim

=========Jim Homme: He, Him, His
Senior Digital Accessibility Consultant
Bender Consulting Services
412-787-8567
https://www.benderconsult.com/
Help end the shame of the stigma of mental health disabilities. https://benderleadership.org/notashamed/