WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: does unspoken on-screen text in videos need to be in the captions and transcript?

for

Number of posts in this thread: 5 (In chronological order)

Date: Fri, Mar 22 2024 8:58AM
Subject: does unspoken on-screen text in videos need to be in the captions and transcript?
No previous message | Next message →

Hi,

I thought that I saw once where any on-screen text in a video that's not
spoken needs to be in the captions, but I can't find it. So maybe my
memory is faulty? The W3C example video does not have the on-screen text
at the beginning of the video in the caption. The link for that video is
https://www.w3.org/WAI/perspective-videos/captions/

Is it required to put on-screen text from a video in the captions and this
is just a bad example, or is it not required? Maybe it's just good
practice?

Thank you,
Mike

Mike Warner
Director of IT Services
MindEdge Learning

Date: Fri, Mar 22 2024 9:14AM
Subject: Re: does unspoken on-screen text in videos need to be in thecaptions and transcript?
← Previous message | Next message →

It isn't required for captions. I would include it in a transcript though.

Keep in mind that captions are intended as an alternative for auditory information, not visual information. Audio description is intended as an alternative for visual information. At least for me, a transcript is the alternative for both auditory and visual information--if someone is using a transcript, then they are not likely using the multimedia simultaneously.

Have feedback for our Professional Services team? Please fill in the survey.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of Mike Warner
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2024 9:58 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Subject: [WebAIM] does unspoken on-screen text in videos need to be in the captions and transcript?

Hi,

I thought that I saw once where any on-screen text in a video that's not spoken needs to be in the captions, but I can't find it. So maybe my memory is faulty? The W3C example video does not have the on-screen text at the beginning of the video in the caption. The link for that video is https://www.w3.org/WAI/perspective-videos/captions/

Is it required to put on-screen text from a video in the captions and this is just a bad example, or is it not required? Maybe it's just good practice?

Thank you,
Mike

Mike Warner
Director of IT Services
MindEdge Learning

Date: Fri, Mar 22 2024 9:15AM
Subject: Re: - does unspoken on-screen text in videos need to be in thecaptions and transcript?

My thoughts are audience-based and not so much which regulation element says to do what.

A person who is blind interacting with the text displayed on screen would need audio description if that onscreen text was meaningful/essential content.

A deaf but sighted person wouldn't need it in the closed captions.

A deaf-blind user would likely need that text as audio description and rather than listening to the video and would likely use a refreshable Braille device so perhaps needs both the closed captions and the audio description.

These able player examples help imagine ways to do the process:
https://ableplayer.github.io/ableplayer/demos/

Doug Hayman
IT Accessibility Coordinator
Information Technology
Olympic College
= EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
(360) 475-7632

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of Mike Warner
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2024 7:58 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Subject: [EXTERNAL] - [WebAIM] does unspoken on-screen text in videos need to be in the captions and transcript?

CAUTION: This email came from a non-OC system or external source. Beware of phishing and social engineering!

Hi,

I thought that I saw once where any on-screen text in a video that's not spoken needs to be in the captions, but I can't find it. So maybe my memory is faulty? The W3C example video does not have the on-screen text at the beginning of the video in the caption. The link for that video is
https://www.w3.org/WAI/perspective-videos/captions/

Is it required to put on-screen text from a video in the captions and this is just a bad example, or is it not required? Maybe it's just good practice?

Thank you,
Mike

Mike Warner
Director of IT Services
MindEdge Learning

Date: Fri, Mar 22 2024 9:25AM
Subject: Re: - does unspoken on-screen text in videos need to be in thecaptions and transcript?

Hello there, Doug.
Personally my opinion is that it should be in a transcript.
Or like you said in the audio description
However, as you said sided people will most likely be able to read the text but people reading a transcript won’t know it’s there unless it is in the transcript
Dean Vasile

617-799-1162

> On Mar 22, 2024, at 11:16 AM, Hayman, Douglass < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>
> My thoughts are audience-based and not so much which regulation element says to do what.
>
> A person who is blind interacting with the text displayed on screen would need audio description if that onscreen text was meaningful/essential content.
>
> A deaf but sighted person wouldn't need it in the closed captions.
>
> A deaf-blind user would likely need that text as audio description and rather than listening to the video and would likely use a refreshable Braille device so perhaps needs both the closed captions and the audio description.
>
> These able player examples help imagine ways to do the process:
> https://ableplayer.github.io/ableplayer/demos/
>
>
> Doug Hayman
> IT Accessibility Coordinator
> Information Technology
> Olympic College
> = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
> (360) 475-7632
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of Mike Warner
> Sent: Friday, March 22, 2024 7:58 AM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
> Subject: [EXTERNAL] - [WebAIM] does unspoken on-screen text in videos need to be in the captions and transcript?
>
> CAUTION: This email came from a non-OC system or external source. Beware of phishing and social engineering!
>
>
> Hi,
>
> I thought that I saw once where any on-screen text in a video that's not spoken needs to be in the captions, but I can't find it. So maybe my memory is faulty? The W3C example video does not have the on-screen text at the beginning of the video in the caption. The link for that video is
> https://www.w3.org/WAI/perspective-videos/captions/
>
> Is it required to put on-screen text from a video in the captions and this is just a bad example, or is it not required? Maybe it's just good practice?
>
> Thank you,
> Mike
>
> Mike Warner
> Director of IT Services
> MindEdge Learning
> > > > > > > >

Date: Mon, Mar 25 2024 7:49AM
Subject: Re: does unspoken on-screen text in videos need to be in the captions and transcript?
← Previous message | No next message

Thanks, everyone. Great explanation that the caption is an alternative to
the audio for sighted users. Most, if not all, of our transcripts have the
on-screen text.

Mike

Mike Warner
Director of IT Services
MindEdge Learning