WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: best practice for Americanized foreign words

for

Date: Jul 15, 2021 11:03AM

The actual French pronunciation should suit you fine then.

Chris O'Brien
Director of Accessibility
Legal and Litigation

OLG Internal

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of <EMAIL REMOVED>
Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2021 11:48 AM
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] best practice for Americanized foreign words

This email originated outside of OLG. Do not open attachments or click links unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Sorry for the delay in following up.
I had hoped to get a screen reader to speak it as an American would say it, which is close to "tray." But JAWS speaks the "s."I think I have persuaded my friend to just change the word to "very" and be done with this.
I should have said in my original post that I was bringing this up because I think there is a bigger issue with Americanized words. Unfortunately, I cannot recall a good example but I know that I have heard French and Italian cooking terms mangled by screen readers Some European names of organizations I think also get mispronounced. I am not sure it is fair to mark these up as foreign language words since Americans sometimes try to use them as English.
I have never been involved in developing web content that involved such words before, So this struck me as something I had never seriously considered.
I like David's suggestions and will save some notes in case I ever encounter this again.

Jeff
-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of David Engebretson Jr.
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2021 7:45 PM
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] best practice for Americanized foreign words

Could you put a span around the word for "en" instances?
Example:
This is tres <span class="visually-hidden"> (tray)</span>

I haven't heard the word (tres (tray)) used in English vernacular since the early 90's, but I like it (probably since I was in my early 20's last time I heard it).

How about <span aria-hidden="true">tres</span><span class="visually-hidden">tray</span>

That way it is screen reader agnostic?

Peace,
David