WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

New Accessibility Feature in Microsoft 365

for

Date: May 17, 2024 6:22AM

Morning!
I'm updating my Microsoft Word from the Keyboard book and discovered a new preview tool in Word...and probably in other applications.
If you add a graphic with no Alt Text, instead of the anchor appearing to the upper left of the graphic, a small accessibility symbol appears. If you hover the mouse over it, you'll see that the graphic has an accessibility issue.
If you go to File, Options, Accessibility, there is a new check box in the first category of settings. It is to help me create more accessible content or something to that effect and it is a preview. I'm on the insider beta channel so don't panic if you don't see it.
This is not usable by those of us using a screen reader, however, when we land on a graphic with no Alt Text, we just hear the dimensions...and we can find graphics with no Alt Text by using the Accessibility Checker.
One other recently added thing is that the band across the bottom of graphics you've just added now has an Approve or Edit button. The tools have text that is read to those of us using screen readers that says to Open the Alt Text Pane and it gives a keyboard command to quickly add the Alt Text. It says to use Shift + F1 then choose A for View Alt Text. You can also use the AppKey to get the context menu.
Cheers, Karen