WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Document headings

for

Date: Feb 27, 2024 6:11AM

Good morning! In terms of document structure and accessibility, it's generally recommended to start with an `<h1>` heading for the main title or heading of the document. This helps in organizing content hierarchically and assists screen readers and other assistive technologies in understanding the structure of the document.

Starting with a `<p>` paragraph instead of an `<h1>` heading might not align with best practices for accessibility and document structure. While having the document title in the header is a common practice, it doesn't replace the need for an `<h1>` heading within the document itself. Screen readers typically focus on the content area and might not automatically detect the title from the header.

Therefore, your original structure with the document title as an `<h1>` seems more compliant with accessibility standards compared to the modified structure provided by QA. It's good to ensure that the document structure follows best practices to support accessibility for all users.
Dean Vasile

617-799-1162

> On Feb 27, 2024, at 6:30 AM, Claire Forbes < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> Good morning,
> I have a question regarding Heading Levels, please see the below for context and I'll ask my question at the end.
>
> I created a one-page document that flowed with the following document styles:
>
> * The document title as a Heading Level 1 <H1>
> * Then a Paragraph of content <P>
> * Then goes into a Heading Level 2 + the next section of content <H2> <P>
> * The rest of the document goes from various <H2> to <P> until the end
> The document title is also in the header and the company logo is in the footer.
>
> Our QA office reviewed the document and removed the document title as Heading Level 1, started the document with a paragraph of instruction, then made all my original Heading Level 2s into Heading Level 1s.
> So here's the QA's document structure: <P>, <H1>, <P>, <P>,<P>,<H1>, <P>, <P>, <H1>, <P>, etc....
>
> Can someone please confirm this is non-complaint? A document should always start with an <H1> and not a <P>, correct?
> Just because the document title is in the header of the document that's not a case for compliance because screen readers don't read headers and footers, correct?
>
> Thank you!