WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: does unspoken on-screen text in videos need to be in thecaptions and transcript?

for

Date: Mar 22, 2024 9:14AM

It isn't required for captions. I would include it in a transcript though.

Keep in mind that captions are intended as an alternative for auditory information, not visual information. Audio description is intended as an alternative for visual information. At least for me, a transcript is the alternative for both auditory and visual information--if someone is using a transcript, then they are not likely using the multimedia simultaneously.

Have feedback for our Professional Services team? Please fill in the survey.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Mike Warner
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2024 9:58 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] does unspoken on-screen text in videos need to be in the captions and transcript?

Hi,

I thought that I saw once where any on-screen text in a video that's not spoken needs to be in the captions, but I can't find it. So maybe my memory is faulty? The W3C example video does not have the on-screen text at the beginning of the video in the caption. The link for that video is https://www.w3.org/WAI/perspective-videos/captions/

Is it required to put on-screen text from a video in the captions and this is just a bad example, or is it not required? Maybe it's just good practice?

Thank you,
Mike

Mike Warner
Director of IT Services
MindEdge Learning